|Living in Florence
- ACCOMMODATION - Unfortunately our Institution does not provide accommodation for exchange students studying at the University of Florence. At this webpage you can find useful tips regarding this aspect.The city of Florence offers different options for accommodation. You can find hotels, hostels, individual/shared apartments, single/double rooms. Useful information could be found on these institutional websites:
- Mid and Long Term Accommodation - Florence offers different housing options for mid and long term stays:
The availability and costs of accommodation are extremely variable, depending on the location and the facilities provided. Housing announcements can be found on notice boards around libraries, departments, canteens at all the various campus locations.
Useful information can be found on the following websites:
- Housinganywhere (international housing platform)
- Hometogo (accommodation search platform)
- Florence apartments to rent
- To find houses or apartments to rent you can also get in contact with any estate agency based in Florence.
- Here you can view a list of accommodation facilities in Florence metro area divided by type that offer discount rates for UNIFI guests. The list will be updated regularly.
Please note that:
- in each teaching venue of our School (S. Teresa, S. Verdiana, Empoli Campus. Calenzano Campus) are located large notice boards where people advertise apartments and rooms for rent;
- WHAT TO DO IN CASE YOU NEED A DOCTOR- Italy’s public sanitary system is called Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN), distributed through the territory in Aziende Unità Sanitarie Locali (AUSL). In order to receive the cures that you might need you have to bring your European Health Insurance (EHIC).
Registration to the SSN - Those who are registered to SSN have the same rights and duties of Italian citizens including the co-payment of fees for the services provided (ticket). The contribution varies according to the financial situation of the applicant. In some cases (e.g. students) applicants pay a flat fee.
For more information please refer to the local health offices in your area of residency and visit www.asf.toscana.it (in Italian only) or
Ufficio Stranieri - ASL 10 in Via Gramsci, 561, Sesto Fiorentino, ph: +39 6930111, e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org (Monday to Friday from 9 am - 2 pm)
The main hospital is AOU Careggi, situated in Largo Brambilla, 3 - Firenze
There is a desk dedicated to foreign citizens:
Pavilion 2 NIC (Main Entrance)
ph: +39 055 794 9888 / 055 794 7057
Monday to Saturday 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- HOW TO GET THE TAX CODE (CODICE FISCALE)
The tax code (Codice Fiscale) is a fiscal identification code, comprised of letters and numbers, that identifies citizens when dealing with Italian public Authorities and other Administrations. It is required in Italy for all sorts of procedures (e.g. applying for a resident permit, opening a bank account, applying for the National Health Service card, renting a flat, applying for a fixed telephone line, buying a mobile phone's SIM card, etc.).
The request may be submitted personally to any local tax office branch of the Italian Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate).
Direzione Provinciale di FIRENZE
Via Santa Caterina d'Alessandria, 23
50129 - FIRENZE
The tax code is issued immediately and free of charge. It is necessary to complete the AA4/8 form
EU/EEA citizens must bring a valid passport or another form of ID; non EU/EEA citizens must bring the passport with a valid visa (if requested) and a copy of it (clearly showing personal data and visa) and/or the residence permit.
Alternatively, it is possible to apply for the tax code to the Italian consular authorities in the country of residence.
For further information, please visit the Agenzia delle Entrate website.
- LEISURE ACTIVITIES
If you wished to practice some sports, our institution offers the possibility to register at the CUS (Centro Universitario Sportivo) that allows students to attend a wide variety of courses.
Our institution offers even other activities, such as being part of the University Choir or the University Orchestra, or alternatively the University’s Acting Company.
For further information regarding those activities, you can check the webpage at the following link: http://www.unifi.it/cmpro-l-s-40.html