Living in Florence

Living in Florence 


  • ACCOMMODATION - Unfortunately our Institution does not provide accommodation for exchange students studying at the University of Florence. At this webpage you can find useful tips regarding this aspect.The city of Florence offers different options for accommodation. You can find hotels, hostels, individual/shared apartments, single/double rooms. Useful information could be found on these institutional websites:
Florence Metropolitan City Council Tourism Information Offices (Italian only)


  • Mid and Long Term Accommodation - Florence offers different housing options for mid and long term stays:

The availability and costs of accommodation are extremely variable, depending on the location and the facilities provided. Housing announcements can be found on notice boards around libraries, departments, canteens at all the various campus locations.

  • To find houses or apartments to rent you can also get in contact with any estate agency based in Florence.
  • Here you can view a list of accommodation facilities in Florence metro area divided by type that offer discount rates for UNIFI guests. The list will be updated regularly. 


Please note that:

- in each teaching venue of our  School (S. Teresa, S. Verdiana, Empoli Campus. Calenzano Campus) are located large notice boards where people advertise apartments and rooms for rent;

- consider that some of our degree courses are held in campuses outside the city of Florence (Empoli and Calenzano) that can be easily reached by train or bus.



  • WHAT TO DO IN CASE YOU NEED A DOCTOR- Italy’s public sanitary system is called Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN), distributed through the territory in Aziende Unità Sanitarie Locali (AUSL). In order to receive the cures that you might need you have to bring your European Health Insurance (EHIC).


Registration to the SSN - Those who are registered to SSN have the same rights and duties of Italian citizens including the co-payment of fees for the services provided (ticket). The contribution varies according to the financial situation of the applicant. In some cases (e.g. students) applicants pay a flat fee.


The main hospital is AOU Careggi, situated in Largo Brambilla, 3 - Firenze

There is a desk dedicated to foreign citizens:

Pavilion 2 NIC (Main Entrance)

ph: +39 055 794 9888 / 055 794 7057

Monday to Saturday  7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.

For more info see here: Foreigners’ Hospitalisation Office  / Ufficio Spedalità Stranieri




The tax code (Codice Fiscale) is a fiscal identification code, comprised of letters and numbers, that identifies citizens when dealing with Italian public Authorities and other Administrations. It is required in Italy for all sorts of procedures (e.g. applying for a resident permit, opening a bank account, applying for the National Health Service card, renting a flat, applying for a fixed telephone line, buying a mobile phone's SIM card, etc.).

The AA4/8 form must be submitted personally to any local tax office branch of the Italian Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate). 

Direzione Provinciale di FIRENZE
Via Santa Caterina d'Alessandria, 23
50129 - FIRENZE
Telefono: 055-4787111
E-mail:  dp.firenze[at]

EU/EEA citizens must bring a valid passport or another form of ID; non EU/EEA citizens must bring the passport with a valid visa (if requested) and a copy of it (clearly showing personal data and visa) and/or the residence permit.

For further information, please visit the Agenzia delle Entrate website.



If you wished to practice some sports, our institution offers the possibility to register at the CUS (Centro Universitario Sportivo) that allows students to attend a wide variety of courses.

Our institution offers even other activities, such as being part of the University Choir or the University Orchestra, or alternatively the University’s Acting Company.

For further information regarding those activities, you can check the webpage at the following link.

Ultimo aggiornamento



I cookie di questo sito servono al suo corretto funzionamento e non raccolgono alcuna tua informazione personale. Se navighi su di esso accetti la loro presenza.  Maggiori informazioni